commissioning tokaimalo rotuma biofuel waidina
energy-rating-electricity-final202 2
lokia biogas site
solar 2
wai village taveuni hydro monitoring station


Rural Electrification Unit

Appliance Standard And Labelling


Q 1. How much do I have to pay to get a Solar Home System (SHS) from DOE?

The SHS that is currently being provided by DOE is focused mainly in the remote areas in Vanua Levu where access to the FEA grid is not accessible. The communities should not have had any Rural Electrification assistance from Government.

The application is mainly a community-based project. With the above being said; with respect to payments, each household is required to pay a deposit of $50.00. After implementation of the project, each user pre-pays a monthly fee that covers maintenance and component replacement as well as the non-subsidised portion of the initial cost.

Q 2. Can I use a TV with this Solar Home System?

The SHS programme currently underway focuses on the utilization of solar energy specifically for lighting purposes. Each Solar Home System (SHS) comprises of the following: 3 * 11W lights, 1 * 7W light and a DC-DC converter to accommodate a 6-battery radio and charging of mobiles. Other electrical appliances apart from these cannot be used together with the system.

Q 3. Can I get my own solar panels, inverter etc. and use it together with this system?

The implementation of these projects is operated under a RESCO model whereby equipment is owned by the government (DOE), installed and maintained by the private company selected competitively by DOE. With the government providing full ownership of the system, users are not permitted to add other electrical appliances or devices to be used together with the system. Doing so would result in the user being classed as tampering with the system and a fine being imposed.

Q 4. Can I charge my mobile phone using this system?

Yes. As stated in 2 above, the presence of a DC-DC converter enables mobile phones to be charged.

Q 5. Can I get two solar systems in my home since it is a big house?

Yes. For big houses, users are allowed to have 2 systems installed but this would mean paying double for the deposit and the monthly fees.

Q 6 . Can I buy many tokens at once and keep it at home?

The maximum number of tokens one can buy is three (3). Purchasing of many tokens at once can result in the user losing his money once the system becomes un-operational during any one time while the system is installed.

Q 7 . If my system is not working, who do I call or see?

If the system is not working, the users are to contact the maintenance company. If nothing is done by the company then they are to contact the DOE.

Rural Electrification Unit

Q 1. How do I/we apply for assistance in getting electricity supply?

The department in its role as National Energy custodian is providing options for sustainable supply of electricity whereby assistance is available. The options and conditions are as follows;

  • Solar Home System (applies to Vanua Levu, Rotuma)
  • Community Diesel Generator (Area not Accessible by FEA)
  • Hydro Power System (Area not accessible by FEA)
  • FEA National Grid Extension (Area accessible by FEA)

You may apply for assistance by either filling DOE’s Application Form or by writing to: The Director; Department of Energy: P O Box 2493: Government Buildings: Suva.
Application form is available for download.

Q 2 . Can I get financial assistance to electricity supply to my home under the government rural electrification policy?

Yes, Assistance is available to individual or community when fund is available from Government or other Donor Organization. To qualify for assistance under the Rural Electrification Policy 1)applicant’s home must be outside of the town boundaries; 2) applicant’s home must be outside of subdivisions 3) one has not been assisted before through government’s Rural Electrification Policy (RE) as assistance through the RE Programme is provided only once

Q 3. Is there any money that needs to be paid for the assistance?

Yes, the adopted Rural Electrification Policy 1993, states that the Government contribution towards the development is 90% and 10% community contributions. Please remember there are other conditions to specific Electrification Options stated above, ensure that you contact the relevant officer of the department to clarify issues and conditions of contributions.

Q 4 . If I require FEA Grid Extension, what are the procedures for assistance?

First you need to apply to FEA. FEA will process your application and issue a quotation based on the scope of work required. Then after you received the quotation from FEA, you need to determine whether financial assistance will be required. If so, then you need to bring the quotation to DOE on which the department will calculate the assistance viability based on FEA quote and also other services if needed.

Once DOE determines the viability of your scheme you will be informed of the amount you are required to pay as your contribution - whether it be 10% (for a viable scheme)or the difference for non viable schemes. It needs to be noted also that the validity of DOE’s letter is based on FEA’s quotation. Thus as soon as FEA’s letter expires, DOE’s letter of offer of assistance expires also.

Q 5. After the payment of contribution, when will I expect the project implementation?

Note that Department of Energy places a lot of importance on her customers’ satisfaction. The Department therefore does her utmost to process the fully paid schemes and get them implemented as soon as is practically possible. However there are standard procedures and guide lines that would have to be followed; and because there are elements and variable factors involved in the standard procedures that are beyond DOE’s control, the Department does not give projected dates for implementations of the projects; lest our projections are wrong, the customers’ high expectations are not met, they get annoyed and angry, and the Department ends up getting blamed for delays that are really beyond her control.

Appliance Standard And Labelling

Q 1 . What is Appliance Standard & Labelling?

The Fiji Appliance Energy Standards and Labelling (F S&L) Program will be made up of two regulatory requirements:

Energy labelling—mandatory on-product labels will provide buyers with consistent, reliable information so that consumers can take running costs into account when they purchase new appliances.

Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS)—set legally enforceable minimum levels of energy efficiency for appliances to be sold in Fiji.

The program will initially only apply to refrigerators and freezers.

Q 2 . When is it happening?

The Minister for Commerce, Industry, Investment & Communication through his powers under theTrade Standards and Quality Control Decree 1992 on September 27 has signed and promulgated the Standards for refrigerators and freezers.
The new standards “Trade Standards (Household Electric Refrigerating Appliances) Order 2007 for FS/AS/NZS 4474.1:2007 and FS/AS/NZS 4474.2:2007 made under Legal Notice No. 91 was supposed to become legally enforceable from April 2008.

Due to the high staff turnover faced by the Department at the beginning of this year, the cabinet approval was sought to have the enforcement date deferred to January 2011.

The Order gives the regulatory role for the administration of the Standards to the Department of Energy (DOE)

Q 3. What does it mean for the industry?
  • Anyone importing or retailing affected products should be aware of program developments.
  • From January 2011 all importers of refrigerators & freezers must ensure that their products are MEPS compliant.
  • All Retailers must ensure that all stock ordered has and those in showrooms, clearly displays Energy Rating Labels. Models imported before August 2008 may be still be legally sold providing proof of importation date with the regulator authorities.
  • Retailer training will be provided before the enforcement date.
  • Retailers or any business intending to import such appliances into Fiji must make an application to the regulator for a registration of their appliances.
Q 4 . Who will Regulate these Standards?
  • The Order gives the regulatory role for the administration of the Standards to the DOE.
  • The DOE will have powers to make, amend, suspend or revoke the guidelines under this order.
  • The DOE may as regulator also have powers to recall items or initiate legal proceeding.
  • The DOE also has other functions and powers as the regulator specified in the Order.
  • The DOE intends to extend the program to domestic air conditioners (< 7.5kW) and lighting products in 2009
Q 5. Why Regulate Energy Efficiency?
  • Economic benefits to consumers/society through savings on energy bills.
  • Will reduce Fiji’s reliance on imported diesel fuel for electricity generation.
  • Important part of Fiji’s strategy to combat climate change & global warming.
Q6. How can I check the rating on my refrigerator/freezers?

Please follow this link ( identify the compliance model and brand with the set star rating

Copyright © 2012-2013 Department of Energy |Terms of Use
Visitors 197248 (14)

Designed by: Government Information Technology & Computing Services